6 Days A Week We Wait For Shabbos Kodesh

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Nisht List Entry

I would like to add the following to the nisht list:

ring ring ring

Me: Hello?

"Volunteer": Hi, I'm Mr./Mrs. X calling on behalf of the ______(fire, police, EMT, MADD etc.) we're doing our annual donation campaign and want to know if we can count on your support again this year? Can we count on you for $25.

Me: No, I'm sorry, we really cannot help at this time.

"Volunteer": Well I understand and we're not trying to bother you or place a financial burden on you, any small amount helps. How about just $20, the ____(kids, police, parents, patients etc.) really appreciate your help.

Me: No, I'm sorry, we really cannot help at this time.

"Volunteer": Well I understand and we're not trying to bother you or place a financial burden on you, any small amount helps. How about just $15, the ____(kids, police, parents, patients etc.) really appreciate your help.

Me: No, I'm sorry, we really cannot help at this time.

"Volunteer": Ok, well we're not trying to bother you, we'll call you back next year. Thank you.

click

Me (after hanging up): AHHH!! I gave one time in my life to only one of these organizations and all of them call me every month for their "annual" campaign. Can I call them every month for my "rent" campaign? Any amount can help, even $5.

Don't get me wrong, I think giving charity is very worthwhile and that all of these programs are very important for our safety etc. but if I say NO, I CAN'T. I REALLY MEAN NO, I CAN'T!!

I am too nice to be mean on the phone so I will vent to you fellow bloggers. Sorry if any of you have the job of "Volunteer."

8 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    There could really be an entire nisht list blog.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger SuperIma said…

    I thought about that but I don't think all entries are meant to be public knowledge :)

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger Orthonomics said…

    I find these conversations high pressure enough. Imagine the ones with Jewish organizations. . . those are the worse.

    Welcome to the blogesphere.

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger SuperIma said…

    I am sure the calls from Jewish orgs. are worse because then I'd really feel bad saying no.

    Thanks for the welcome.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger fashionista said…

    C'mon, Erica, this is Silver Spring, raise the rent campaign to $20 a month.

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Orthonomics said…

    Some of the conversations I've had could evoke a series of blog posts 10 feet long.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Shabbos Kodesh, Shabbos Shabbos Kodesh, Shabbos Kodesh, Shabbos, Shabbos Kodesh.

    Yeah, that loses something over the blog.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger SuperIma said…

    Elise - you're exactly right and that is the reason I can't even give $5 to these people.

    Lanie - that is now YM's favorite song, anytime we go anywhere he requests that song and that song only. Start 'em young I guess.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home